What is TENS Therapy?
TENS, or transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation, is form of treatment for acute pain using electrical nerve stimulation. TENS therapy units produce electrical impulses at various frequencies and intensities to stimulate the nervous system. TENS therapy works because it increases our bodies natural pain-killers known as endorphins and also helps block pain signals. TENS therapy can bring temporary to permanent pain relief with results that can be achieved in as little as a single 20-30 minute session.
Personal TENS therapy is typically done using a small battery powered device which connects to several electrode pads. These electrode pads should be placed on the skin of the affected area or on other trigger points / energy meridians throughout the body. The TENS therapy unit then sends electrical impulses through these electrode pads which can create a light to intense tingling sensation (depending on the intensity level the unit it set to) and additionally contract the muscles they are connected to. This electric stimulation can also improve localized blood circulation improving the body’s natural healing abilities.
Features of the TENS Therapy Unit
The TENS therapy unit is a small portable unit, similar to the size of an mp3 player, which has 2 outputs for dual electrode pads to be connected. TENS therapy requires dual pads to be used as the electric impulses travel between these dual pads.
- 2 outputs for dual electrode pads
- 6 stimulation modes including: 1) Pushing, 2) Acupuncture, 3) Tapping, 4) Scraping, 5) Cupping, and 6) Random.
- 20 intensity levels
- 20 minute timer by default which can be adjusted to a 10-60 minute duration
- Rechargeable battery with battery indicator
What’s included with the TENS Therapy unit
- 1x TENS Therapy device ( 6 modes, 20 intensity levels )
- 2x dual electrode wires
- 2x large electrode pad
- 2x small electrode pad
- 1x Collection board to stick electrode pads to after use
- 1x USB cable & AC adaptor
- 1x Instruction manual
- 1x Chart of trigger points based on Chinese acupuncture.